Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Refuge


I had a few things I thought of yesterday that I wanted to blog about, but I only remembered one. And I think it's probably the most important one.

I have no idea why this little moment hit me the way it did, but yesterday, as I was sitting on the couch folding laundry, Julia and Lily were playing together. It wasn't long before I heard a thump. Lily had hit her head on the wall. She instantly came running and crying to me.

To me. The first thing she thinks to do when she gets hurt is to come to me for consolation. I know, this is nothing profound. But as I was holding and hugging her, tears welled up in my eyes. It feels really, really nice to be needed like that. I hope that my girls will always come to me like that when they hurt, or when they're happy, or anytime they feel anything. But more importantly, I pray that they will always go to Jesus first, to seek Him first. I've been reading a lot lately about how Jesus is our refuge. I know--but I don't quite understand how--He loves them way more than I do, and He wants them (and me!) to always come to Him with everything that's on their hearts and minds. He is their Father, after all. And He loves us all with an unconditional, unimaginable, indescribable love that will never fade.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why the moment hit me the way it did. Maybe Jesus gave me a glimpse of what it's like when we come to Him.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post! Thank you for writing this. I'm so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete